So this last week my friend Emily and I got crafty. We got an idea from my friend, Camille, who is a stay at home mom to Kendal and a new set of twin girls! As if she isn't busy enough, she just keeps coming up with great ideas for crafts, and I copy her. It is a great friendship! Well, Emily and I decided to make cute 4th of July shirts for our kids (That is if her's gets here in time...today is her due date!) After making the 4th of July ones for our kids and some more for friends, we just kept going...we couldn't stop! It was so much fun! Camille said, anyone who participates has to post pictures of what they did...so here they are Camille!!
These two are Ava's. I got some old Memorial Day shirts from Wal Mart that were on clearance and turned them into these! You can't see the stitching too well in the pictures but there is red stitching around the star for 4th of July, and the flower needs a little more stitching and it will be all done!
This one is Lincoln's shirt. Ava has one but it is white (you can see it in the picture above)...these are so that their fathers will keep suporting our crafting habbits :) Emily called them the "Mac Daddies" I thought it was pretty funny!
1. Make a pattern of the shape you want. There are ideas at Bodenusa.com, and at etsy.com( search applique shirts)
2. Pick your fabric.
3. Use heat and bond lite (sometimes it's called wonder under, steam a seam) make sure you get lite so you can sew around the edges without killing your fingers. Cut a square that will fit your pattern and iron your fabric on top lightly. If you iron the heat and bond on before you cut out your shape it makes it much easier and iron lightly so there is enough left over to iron to your shirt. Don't let the heat an bond get on your iron either.
4. Now trace your shape and cut it out.
5. Iron it onto your shirt and sew around the edges. You can use a sewing machine, I do it by hand.


6 comments:
I love them! I didn't even think to do fourth of july ones! I might have to whip something out. Thank for showing me your creations!
Very cute! I especially like the Apple one.
Holy cow, sister, is there anything you CAN'T do???
Those turned out so cute Linds or should I say Molly!! I love reading your blog. Everytime I learn some new tip or deal!! You rock Linds!! Thanks for the little summer secret by the way! I'm going to try it! We were at a pool party yesterday and I was spreading the word.
I wish I knew about this before the fourth, I realized I don't have anything red for Kelsi. Can't I just pay you to make one for me? haha! So, I laughed at myself, because a few posts ago, I attempted my first craft (hairbows) and I mentioned that my eyes glaze over when anyone tries to describe how to do something crafty. Well, as I was reading your directions, I zoned out during the second line of step #3. There is no hope for me. Maybe I will show one of my crafty friends your blog and they can hold my hand while we do it together (or maybe I can get them to do it for me).heehee
My girls in YW liked this one so much that we are going to do a class activity doing them in August. Thanks for your creativity.
Post a Comment