Sunday, February 28, 2010

Ava's word vommit

Ava and I were just drawing together, and she asked me to draw our family. So I drew her and Viv, and then Riley and me. She is very into positive reinforcement and said, "Great Job Mommy! Keep it up!" Then she was looking at the picture and said, "Yes, that is daddy he is tall, tall, tall. And that is you mommy, you are down, down, down. Yeah. Someday when you grow up you could be tall like me and daddy!!" So funny.

She is in the stage of observing everything around her. And she tells me when people have short hair, or glasses, or watches on. Well that isn't so bad, but when she comments on the color of people's skin I don't quite know what to do. It isn't like she is thinking one color is better than the other, she is just stating the obvious. It doesn't help that we live in Rexburg, Idaho...land of white people! We were at the store the other day, and she yelled, "Look mom, they are black! Yeah and we are yellow!" I didn't think that they heard her say that, and I didn't know what to do. So when we got in the car I gave her the talk about how we are all different and it is a good thing to be different, but we don't have to point it out, because sometimes it makes people uncomfortable (mostly her mother!) Then we talked about what being a child of God means and that we are all equal. Well I don't think it set in because last night we went out to eat and our waiter was African-American. He was really nice and talking to her and she looked at him and said, "You are black!" Riley and I apologized and he laughed it off. I think we were more embarrassed than he was. We gave her the same talk, and maybe this time it will set in a little more...here's to hoping! Maybe someday we'll live somewhere where it won't be so unusual to see ethnicity and she won't even notice.

6 comments:

Brittney said...

I guess it's kind of hard to know whether or not to apologize in a situation like that, but I'm sure most people wouldn't be offended by a 3 yr. old. She's just too cute!!!

Camille English said...

I love it. Really I don't think people mind when it comes from a cute little girl. I have a friend whose son always comments on peoples weight out loud so hopefully she doesn't catch on to that.

Emily said...

That is such a cute story! I love it when you post Ava stories. She is one of my favorite girls. Too bad we can't just stick a Binky in their mouth to keep them quiet anymore. LOL just kidding. Have you ever seen those commercials for the chewy granola bars where kids say embarrassing things to people when they are in public. It says. "Kids talk to much?"... so their moms give them granola bars to keep them quiet? It's so funny. I tried to look it up real quick but Lincoln is crying now. ;) sorry! Maybe I'll mail you some granola bars. Lol

Marilyn & Steve said...

Great story. I agree with your other friends - only a real touchy person would get offended at a 3 year old saying that. It happened to my sister Kathy when Jerry was a baby, too. Mostly people understand that it's just an observation for them.
She's such a doll! How could anyone get angry?
Love,
Mom/Gramma

Nikki Nichols said...

That is priceless!!!! Gotta love little girls!!

www.thefamilynichols.com

Emily said...

I was remembering when I was 21 and had REALLY bad acne. I worked in the nursery and a little three year old said to me, "You have owies on your face." and one said (not a three year old, like a 6 year old!) You have chicken pocks. You should cut your chicken pocks off!!!! LOL ...could be worse, just sayin'