Friday, February 13, 2009

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! (and the good fondant recipe)

Well in my cake decorating class on Wednesday, we used edible paper to make Valentine cakes. It was just a small, single layer, 6" cake with white frosting and then we put our drawing in the middle. Well I just made a little thing that said "Kiss Me" and it had lips under it. I was kinda grossed out by the fact that we used regular (non toxic) Crayola markers to make the drawings, and the fact that the cake was in the freezer for 3 weeks prior to decorating so I had no intention of actually eating the cake. (Just like my brown butter cream project, they just have to sit out too long for grading and things, by the time you get to take them home they are gross and just get tossed.) Well Ava decided she wanted a taste of this "Birthday Cake" today, so I let her have a slice before I tossed it out. Believe it or not, she really liked it, and even ate a chunk of the edible paper. She didn't think it was funny tasting at all, and she didn't die, so there you have it, Crayola markers taste just fine!


PS we made fondant too, and are starting our fondant project next week. I tasted a little and it wasn't that bad, it just tasted like marshmallow. It was SUPER messy to make, but easy and fast. So if you want the recipe here it is....

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows
2 tablespoons water
2 pounds powdered sugar, well sifted
½ cup Crisco shortening

Melt marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave or double boiler: Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted. It usually takes about 1 ½-2 minutes total. Place 3/4 of the powdered sugar on the top of the melted marshmallow mix.

Now grease your hands GENEROUSLY - palms, backs and in between fingers, then heavily grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow/sugar mixture in the middle.
Start kneading like you would bread dough. Add the rest of the powdered sugar and knead some more. Re-grease your hands and counter when the fondant is sticking. If the mix is tearing easily, it is to dry, so add water (about ½ tablespoon at a time then knead it in). It usually takes about 8 minutes to get a firm smooth elastic ball so that it will stretch without tearing when you apply it to the cake.

4 comments:

The Olligschlager Family said...

Cool linds I really want to try making fondant! Is Ava in big girl undies now?

Anonymous said...

Oh yay! Thank you for that recipe! I *hate* the taste of normal fondant, so this should be an improvement!

Happy Valentine's Day (or, as I like to say oh-so selfishly, HAPPY MY ANNIVERSARY DAY!) to you too, have a great one!

The Hughes Family said...

Thank you for the recipe! Oh and I hope you and Riley are going to be able to go out tonight alone for Valentines Day! Kelby and I are going out to dinner and then were going to the Stake dance, hahaha! Were only going to the dance so that we can feel like teenagers again...woohoo! OH by the way its an adult stake dance...were not just craching a youth stake dance.

Melinda said...

Hey Congrats on being pregnant, that's flippin exciting! You guys are awesome, I can't wait to see what your next will be like! That's funny the Johnsons said "see you in 9 months" and mentioned having a baby, haha, good job at keepin it in. Well good luck with school and making it through the semester, you are so close only like 7 more weeks or something. Well if you need a babysitter give us a call Scott and I could always use more practice!