Thursday, June 4, 2009

Bridges, Bridges Everywhere!

So as most of you know, I am a little strange. I have some quirks that my husband nicely puts up with. A lot of them have to do with driving...for example:

I HATE driving on mountain passes...especially the one near my parents' house. I get scared of semi trucks...because of previous bad experiences. I think that we may have resorted to either flying every time, or drugging me before we hit the pass.

Also, I HATE bridges. This is more of a recent development. I had horrible nightmares when I was pregnant with Ava, that we would be driving and crash into water, and because she was locked in her car seat I couldn't get her out. Since then, I hate bridges or driving near water.

One problem...there are bridges everywhere around here! They are really big bridges too, one of which collapsed during an earthquake (The bay bridge). So now I am not only scared of bridges, but I am scared of being in my first earthquake while on one of these humungo bridges.

So last weekend we went to visit my Aunt and cousins who live north of San Francisco. We went over the golden gate bridge and I was more than a little nervous. I told Riley to stay on the inside on the bridge, and we went over the bridge and survived. It really wasn't that bad cause you couldn't see down the side to the water, so you hardly knew you were on the bridge. My nerves were calmed a little about bridges.

Then we hung out with my great family all day. We had a great time and we talking about random things, such as my fear of bridges, and my lovely cousin, Rachel told me that the Golden Gate bridge actually swings 15 feet from side to side, because it is a suspension bridge! But don't worry she told me, they are the safest ones to be on if an earthquake hits...."Fabulous," I thought! She also informed me that the inside lanes are the most dangerous because of head on collisions, so there went my other safety net.

So we went back of the Golden Gate, and survived yet again. I am glad we don't have to drive over any more anytime soon. It was misting and foggy, so the pictures aren't too good, but it was really beautiful and SO big.



9 comments:

The Hughes Family said...

Im glad Riley takes your fears seriously...My mom is extremely scared of heights and my dad would go on the mountains and swerve towards the edge...he was mean!!! Im terrified of water...If my kids are anywhere near water I start getting that yucky feeling in my tummy! Im terrified of my kids drowning and Im also terrified of intruders! I have a really hard time sleeping in my house without Kelb...even in my bed if hes not there Im scared...Im also scared to have a one story house cause then someone could sneak into my babies rooms and take my babies...I think that a house should be one room so I can keep an eye on my babies at all times..See your not that bad!

The Hughes Family said...

Oh I also forgot to mention Im terrified of a fire because i have 3 kids...I wouldnt be able to hold them all to carry them out! Really Im terrified of anything happening...my fam likes to tell me im parnoid!...I am!

Camille English said...

I love your background so colorful! I have a fear of other people driving me period. Chris especially scares me, he's not a bad driver he just doesn't think far enough in advance for me I think I drive him crazy sometimes Being his backseat driver.

Erin said...

I think the pictures are fab. I've always wanted to visit San Fran.

And, your fears are completely normal. Or at least I think they are. There's this 20 mile stretch between Beaumont and Houston that only has two TINY lanes while they're doing road construction. Driving by 18-wheelers scares me to DEATH. DEATH.

Tamar and Trevor said...

I can TOTALLY relate. I am terrified of bridges and tunnels are right up there too! I remember when the bridge colapsed during the earthquake and that only intensified my fears. I usually close my eyes when we go over a bridge...there are lots out her too.

Marilyn & Steve said...

So glad you made it over the bridge to see the family! I love my family, and we NEVER see them enough! Thanks for visiting them and introducing Riley and Ava to them! See you soon!
Mom

Henderson Family said...

I kind of have a thing with bridges too and drowning. I'm not as concerned with the driving for some reason, but walking over bridges scares me.

Holly Murray said...

The other day I was trying to remember who told me the story (when I worked in the dental office) about getting in a car wreck on the pass from a semi. About how the semi pushed the car up onto the center guard rail...Was that you?! Crazy how I was thinking about that. I don't blame you for being paranoid because I am too!

The Olligschlager Family said...

Golden Gate Bridge is so cool! I understand why you are scared though. I have a bridge here that goes over a lake that is filled with aligators that you can see. I am always greatful to make it safely to the other side.